Wednesday, September 14, 2011

No Easy Way To Save Money

Lets face it... There is no easy or painless way to save money.  In order to save, you are literally doing without, and making sacrifices.  I save my change, and I put a little money away each month, sometimes it is only 50 dollars.  I keep telling myself that this little by little savings attempt is going to change my life.  Last month I got a surprise orthodontist bill.  My daughter was due to get her braces off, and I had just paid off the last 1200 dollars that I owed in February.  So imagine my surprise when I got a bill for 879 more dollars.  They were for the retainers and must be paid in full or they would not be removing the braces.  I picked my jaw up off the floor and went to change my pants. 
At first I was shocked, and then mad.  But what can you do?  I gathered my wits, and came up with the idea to have a yard sale, I needed to get rid of some crap anyway, might as well make some money.  I cried and whined to my working daughter and asked for help paying the bill which netted me 255 dollars toward the payment.  I made 170 dollars at the yard sale, it was an impromptu yard sale, one day no advertising, so that was not so bad.  I used my insurance reimbursement check to the tune of about 230 dollars....  and took all the rest out of my savings account.
I was thrilled with my creative money endeavors, but extremely sad to take money out of my precious savings account. 
When I took the money to the billing office at the Orthodontist... I told them that they needed to take me out to dinner. 
I am relieved and happy to have this terrible bill out of my way~ forever by the way, my daughters braces are off and she has a beautiful smile.  I just have to get back to cutting back and doing without, so that I can replace that money in my savings account.

Have a Fabulous & Frugal Day!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about this, De-ette. You handled it like a trooper, as usual. Good job Momma!

    ReplyDelete