Wednesday, November 9, 2011

High Price Prescriptions

I have been suffering from some muscle pain in my neck for about 4 weeks now with no relief.  It really started about 3 months ago but it would come and go.  So I had been using generic Icy Hot, and taking either generic Aleve or Ibuprofen.  Well, when I was so stoved up that I couldn't move my shoulders very good, or turn my head, and was in constant pain... I went to see my doctor.  I am now in physical therapy, and on pain medication.  I did use some of the pain pills last week, sure helped immensely with work and to get through the day. Today being my day off I went to the pharmacy to get my other pills that had to be ordered last week.  Well, to my surprise, my doctor wrote me a prescription for pain patches as well.  They were 50.00 for 30 patches.  I damn near ended up in the hospital with a heart attack.  Talk about a complete shock. 
Upon pondering this prescription, and with my insurance the pills that I got for pain were only 5 dollars for the prescription.  So, I guess that I am just perplexed with the price of those patches. 
Well, as you can imagine...  this was not an expense that I budgeted for.  I am fine, I have money in my savings account, but I have come to the conclusion that my doctor and my pharmacy want me to be broke.  When I go back to the doctor I will be sure to let her know what my insurance covers and what it does not cover for the prescriptions.

I guess the lesson that I have learned here is to ask more questions at both the doctors office and at the pharmacy.  I really feel that if you can use a cheaper medication that works just as well, your pocketbook will thank you.

I really feel for my neighbors and friends without insurance....  I have a job and insurance and these prices are killing me financially.

The moral here is to take care of yourself, and try to stay in the best health possible.  I have spent a fortune on medication and doctors and physical therapy appointments this month.

Have a Fabulous & Frugal Day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment