This is an excellent recipe, much cheaper than buying frozen lasagna at the store and it is easy and home made ~ my husband is a hunter and I use Elk or Venison burger~ Enjoy
Crock Pot Lasagna Recipe
1 lb (500g) ground beef
1 large onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 tspn pre-purchased garlic)
1 lb jar tomato spaghetti sauce - choose your favorite flavor (we used spring vegetable)
8 oz (250g) fresh lasagna Noodles (no boil - found in cold section)
1lb (500g) mozzarella cheese - grated/shredded
1lb (500g) ricotta cheese
2 oz (60g) parmesan cheese - grated/shredded
¼ cup milk
1 egg - lightly beaten
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
Optional other favorite herbs - depends how much is in the sauce you use.
mushrooms - sliced and added at end of frying meat
1. Fry the beef, onion and garlic in a frying pan, using a tiny amount of oil.
2. Fry until slightly browned. And pour off any excess oil. Add tomato sauce and heat through.
3. Meanwhile, gently combine the ricotta, milk and egg.
4. Then mix in the mozzarella and parmesan. Retaining about 1 tbls of parmesan for later.
5. Now we are ready to construct it in the crock pot. We found there was no need to grease the pot, but if you must - do it now.
6. Using a large serving spoon or ladle, place about ¼ of the meat mixture in the crock pot - spread evenly.
7. Top this with a layer of lasagna sheets, cut to size. (See the notes below)
8. Top this with 1/3 of the cheese sauce.
9. Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 once more. You should now have cheese sauce on top.
10. Now repeat step 6, then 7 and 6 again.
11. Top with remaining cheese sauce.
12. Sprinkle the retained parmesan on top.
13. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
While not critical the layers should be -
meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, meat, cheese
To assist with cutting the lasagna sheets -
use a plate the same size as the crock pot & cut around using a knife.