Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cooking Weekend

Today is my Monday....  Happy Monday to all of you.....
I spent my weekend driving 5 hours to my parents house.  On Sunday I cooked all day, and loaded my Mom and Dads' freezer with pre-cooked easy to prepare recipes.  They have marinated chicken, pork roast, Hawaiian Pork, Chicken and Navy bean soup, 3 batches of meatballs, and Salmon patties.  My mom has had some health issues lately and is not able to stand for long periods of time (in the kitchen).  My dad hates to cook, so this was a win win situation for them. 
It is frugal and cost effective to prepare food for the freezer, and eat it as you go.  It is much cheaper than eating out or buying pre-packaged food, unless of course the pre-packaged food is on sale and you have coupons.  Another advantage of making your own food, is that you can control the salt, and fat content of your recipes. 
It is hard work, and it took me pretty much all day cooking, but if you are organized, you can really put some delicious recipes in the freezer. 
One of the things I do at home, if I have made extra soup or dinner items, I will put the leftovers into freezer bags (always date and say what the contents of the bag are) and throw them in the freezer instead of having them sit in the refrigerator for a week and throwing them out. 
This is an excellent way to stretch your food budget, and avoid throwing food away.

Have a Fabulous & Frugal Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment